Tuesday, July 17, 2012

A.k.a. Mr. Bates

Brendan Coyle looks like my uncle Lawrence Satterfield. He plays John Bates in "Downton Abbey." My favorite scene of him is where he grabs Thomas the footman and warps the wall with him a couple of times.

That series has lots of really funny scenes. Molesly sampling the wine. Carson the butler's confession that he used to be half of a song-and-dance team called "The Cheerful Charlies." Matthew's grim exclamation, "Crikey!" when told he should dance with Miss O'Brien at the servants' ball. Thomas and Daisy dancing in the kitchen. Sibyl threatening the horse.

That's the kind of gentle, naturally-occurring comedy that I like. Comedy that makes you laugh inside before giving yourself permission to laugh out loud. I've never liked slapstick or the Charlie Chaplin kinds of comedy. Never cared for the Marx brothers' movies, although Groucho alone could be hilarious, and Chico's "Why a duck?" was priceless--also Harpo when he ever said something, like, "In Russia, my name is Xapno Mapcase." The Three Stooges had their moments, although Larry always looked rather sorry to be part of it all. Clowns scare me, except for poor old Emmett What-was-his-name. Kelly.

And if Bates killed Vera, my inclination is to say, "What took you so long?"
*

I'm almost afraid to say it, but I feel good today, for the first time in weeks.

2 comments:

Ramey Channell said...

I guess Bates does look like Lawrence, without Lawrence's Satterfield nose.

Ramey Channell said...

According to the Internet, Bates (Brendan Coyle) was born in 1963! That's a surprise.