Friday, July 27, 2012

What Can You Expect? It's July.

When I was a young thing, there was a song, or a book, or something, entitled, "Been Down So Long, It Looks Like Up To Me." So I guess I'll go back on the old perk-up pills. I made an appointment with Dr. G. to talk about it, also for my annual exam, which is supposed to be semi-annual, which I skipped in April.

There are good things about July.

(1) My sister Ramey was born on the 27th of it, a few years ago. So today's her birthday. Couple of days ago, I asked her to pick a day this weekend, and we'll go out for lunch or dinner to celebrate.

(2) The Romans added July and August to the calendar. Before that, we only had ten months in a year, and if we still only had ten months, I would be 92.4 years old.

(3) Autumn/winter gets a little nearer every day.

4 comments:

JD Atlanta said...

I am ready for cooler weather!

Let me know when you get that appointment. I'll come over if I can, and we can get lunch on our way there or back!

JD Atlanta said...

I am ready for cooler weather!

Let me know when you get that appointment. I'll come over if I can, and we can get lunch on our way there or back!

JD Atlanta said...

I agree that the Honorable Schoolboy is probably a three. Let me know about the next one!

Also - what is that private eye certificate on your blog?

Ramey Channell said...

What or who is the Honorable Schoolboy? And why is he a three?

Been Down So Long It Looks Like Up To Me is a fabulous, odd, strange, hilarious, sad book by the ill-fated Richard Farina, bless his heart. Everybody went wild over the book when it was published in 1966. Richard died in a motorcycle accident 2 days after the book was published. It's an odd book worth reading. I read it the first time when I was about 3 years old, and several times since then. Most recently I read it a few months ago, and was totally amazed by how "current" it is in many ways, including the fact that his girlfriend always wore Khaki shorts and Polo shirts. Suddenly I remembered being a teen-ager and telling mama that I had to have some polo shirts like the girl in BDSLILLUTM, and we went searching, with no idea what a polo shirt was. I decided it was a coton knit striped shirt. But, in the 50s, when this book was written, who had ever heard of khaki shorts and polo shirts?