Thursday, July 5, 2012

Three Cups of Tea

Greg Mortenson's book was wonderful. I just wonder why he didn't publish it as a novel, in light of the apparently true accusations that some of it is "lies." Maybe bad advice from agent/publisher? Gregory David Roberts' marvelous book Shantaram was based on his own experiences but published as a novel, which was the right way to do it. I'm sorry Mortenson didn't do it that way. I'll probably read both books again someday.
*
Our Fourth of July celebration, for which Susan outdid herself in the way of a feast for everyone, was really, really fine. Great food, great conversation. Jed came over Monday and stayed until this morning. We met Pat, Buffy and Phil at Ixtapa for Mexican food on Monday evening, then Jed and I had dinner at Chili's on Tuesday. This week has been a real treat for me, and I hope for others in the family. I've missed seeing Reed, but he's still visiting his Pa in Los Angeles.
*
Jed brought stacks of books, including the four-volume opus, The Years of Lyndon Johnson, which I admire my son for having waded through all four books. Also several John Le Carre novels, and I'm already halfway through The Spy Who Came In From the Cold, which I hadn't read before, only saw the movie.

3 comments:

JD Atlanta said...

Hey! I enjoyed those books. But then again, I do have a strong stomach. Some parts can be hard to take ... actually, all of the parts related to Johnson.

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

I enjoyed so much having all of you here. I always do. Can't wait for our next gathering.
I loved LBJ, the old coot, but I don't think I could read three books about him.

JD Atlanta said...

Wow! 5 Stars!

I enjoyed TSWCIFTC, but not quite 5 stars. Although Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy was almost 5 stars.

Have you read Marathon Man?