Saturday, December 22, 2012

OCD

I'm sort of a "Pure-O." Have been all my life. "If I win this game, everything's going to be all right."

"I just touched something, so I have to wash my hands."

"I must pay my bills, so I'll do it tomorrow."

"I know that if I step on a crack, it won't break my mother's back, but I avoid stepping on cracks, just in case."

"While I've been trying to decide what's best to do, all the time has slipped away."

"I know how to dance, how to jump rope. But if I move a certain way, something bad will happen."

They aren't conscious or vocalized thoughts, just urges and habits and ways of avoiding suffering.

I guess knowing this about myself, and sometimes managing to act anyway, has enabled me to live this long.
*
I started to major in psychology in college, but it scared me so I switched to English.

2 comments:

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

What has happened to your blog? It's all weird. Not photos, just

JD Atlanta said...

For some reason, I missed this when you published it. But I know how you feel - part of what I want to do in 2013 is to challenge some of those assumptions in myself. Kind of like this comic:

http://www.xkcd.com/1154/