Tuesday, May 7, 2013

For S.D.S.











I think I like the little oxalis flowers best of all. They thrive and survive in the lawn, springing up a few days after they're mowed down with the grass. Every time I look at them, I remember SDS, remember being in the yard at Hammond Camp with all the flowers blooming, the hollyhocks so high I couldn't see the top, and the rump and straw hat of Granny bent over some plant.

***

For S.D.S.


I can remember when
you were so beautiful,
red hair tucked under a
floppy straw hat,
working the magic you
did in the garden to
make the sunflowers grow
tall as a tree.

The cream colored rose with a
blush at the center, bloomed
lushly, its great blossoms
nodding, and you
the same color, with russet curls
straying from under the
straw colored bonnet, seemed
kin to the flowers.

Oh, daffodils, roses, sweet
peas and blue violets, your
sisters or children, come
back every year;
but why should this be, with the
rose blushing, cream colored,
russet framed face of you
vanished and gone?

2 comments:

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

I remember that rump and straw hat too, although not Hammonds Camp. Isn't that where I rolled down the stairs in my stroller. I remember those green colored roses too. She had them in her little garden at Iris and Alfred's house too.

Ramey Channell said...

Very good sweet poem!