Sunday, May 5, 2013

Parties, roses, and houses

I'm proud for the old climbing rose, because it puts on such a show. The camera doesn't seem to catch the subtle pink of the blossoms, but it's really pretty. But I'm right ashamed of myself for letting it run wild this way. Years ago, when I first planted the rose and it had grown a lot, I put up a trellis for it to climb on. Of course, before long the wind blew the trellis away, so I put up another one, which suffered the same fate. So what did I do then?

***

Went to India's birthday gathering yesterday, at Ramey's wonderful house up on Hawk Hill, and had a lovely time with sisters and friends. Of course I forgot to take my camera. I call the house wonderful because it reminds me of houses I've seen or read about in books. Arlington. "Our" house on Ponce de Leon in Montgomery. Tara. With flowers all around; that would be China Court. Rambling architecture, with rooms added here and there, seems to recall Howard's End. I long for sweet peas, but at Hawk Hill instead of here.

I like the (for-sale) brown house on King's Forest Drive, partly because it reminds me of Ramey's house and back yard.

Anyway, after this blooming season, I'll get Ricky to chop the Cecile Brunner rose back, and try to control it somehow.

***

Jo-Ree back on the windowsill, cheeping loudly. He's fat as a bear--looks like he gained numerous grams.

No comments: