Friday, March 28, 2008

Wishing for Grandchildren

With all these beautiful grandchildren springing up all over the place, looks like I could have at least one. This here is Danika, granddaughter of my friend Kat. She's wearing a pretty smocked dress her mama wore 28 years ago. Danika and her parents live in Alaska, so Kat and David don't get to see her often, but at least they know she's there.

Got a notice from Veolia yesterday that they could roll off a dumpster to fill up when one is spring-cleaning. I need to order four or five of their 40-yard ones, and maybe I could get this place in shipshape. They say (I've said) that time goes faster, the older you get. But really it goes slow enough that you can collect a lot of barnacles and flotsam and jetsam that need to be scraped off at some point.


Ulysses

The lure of the open sea is my discontent;
Too long at anchor in this shallow bay,
I have seen time sift into sediment
And over the past its leveling strata lay,
Changing remembered storms to gentle rain.
Sailor, some morning at dawn as you watch the main,
You’ll see this old barnacled ruin heave into sight again.

By JRC, June 7, 1973