Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Building Self-Esteem

I had a most interesting dream last night. Somehow I had won a bit part in an Elvis movie, but it was a very special bit part--the Elvis character was supposed to receive some very good news which made him so happy, he kissed the girl standing nearest him--which was me. I must have been about 33 years old, because that's how old Elvis--who never paid the least attention to me--looked.

It was a long, complicated dream, mostly having to do with the crew quarters which consisted of a large warehouse-looking building. The interiors were windowless, all done in tile and metal and fluorescent lighting, so clean and spotless I wondered if we were going to eat off the floor. In addition to my bit part in the movie, I was responsible for the props, which were continually being delivered at the back of the building.

Anyway, when it came time to film The Kiss, I was as nervous and fluttery as a hummingbird. The director and star and other people were standing around joking and laughing, and I was standing on my mark. The director yelled "Lights!" and I closed my eyes. Then a pair of skinny arms closed around me, and a really revolting mouth closed over about half of my face. Somehow there I felt the gap of a missing tooth. I stepped back, opened my eyes, and beheld a grinning old geezer in a suit completely covered in rhinestones. He even had glitter in his sparse, fuzzy white hair.

I looked around, and Elvis and the crew were talking and laughing with their backs to me.

"My gosh," I thought, "they sent in the stunt man."
*
Anyhow, I've got to get dressed and go mail a book.

2 comments:

Ramey Channell said...

I thought this was a very funny dream, and the ending just too typical! Now why did they have to send in the old stunt guy just at the critical moment?

Trois

Joanne Cage said...

I'm glad you saw the humor. I woke up laughing.