Monday, October 12, 2009

The Curiosity Bump

"Insatiable Curtiosity," as Cousin Rudyard called it, can get one into trouble. It can also lead to higher learning, but that doesn't concern us right now. Anyway, yesterday my oft-piqued curiosity about Facebook led me to sign up for the danged thing, whatever it is. I just followed the Steps 1, 2, 3, 4, claiming to be a friend of every name that I recognized. Now I've received 2-3 emails accepting me as a friend, so many thanks to each. I'm going to reply to each email with the gist of this post, when they stop coming in.

The "gist" is that I don't intend to lecture, inspire, comfort, console or try to reform anyone on Facebook. If I post anything, it's most likely to be a far-fetched non sequitur.

"Gist" is one of the ugliest words I've ever seen/heard. Must be Anglo-Saxon or Old French. You'd be amazed at how often I have to consult the dictionary about a word. I wish everyone else would do the same; that would make my life warmer and cozier. I wish all liberal arts colleges would add a required course called "Dictionary." Or is there such a thing as a liberal arts college (or course) any more?
*
I slept off-and-on from about 6:00 p.m. yesterday until 3 p.m.-something this afternoon. When I woke up, I immediately scribbled a title and complete outline for a new chapbook. And I'm feeling like me again, after my ninth cup of coffee (slight exaggeration).

2 comments:

JD Atlanta said...

Hey Mom! You know, you can post a link to your blog in Facebook. That way, all of your FB friends see the first paragraph of your blog entry, and can click to navigate directly to your blog. Let me know if you want to give it a try.

Love - Jed

Ramey Channell said...

I hate the word angst, and I hate the word closure. Thank goodness those are not so much in vogue as they were for the past 2 or 3 years. I'm not sure what tacky word everyone is over-using now, but I'm sure there is a bad one out there.

RC