Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Whassamallayou?

I can't figure out why, but every once in a while I think of Tojo Yamamoto, a wrestler whom Daddy and I used to watch on TV. He tried to scare the other wrestlers with fierce looks, and when he talked at all, he ran all his words together and left out a lot of syllables.

I Googled him, and found out he had a sort of ordinary real name, Harold Watanabe, and he shot himself dead in 1992. What was the matter with you, Tojo? Well, he had diabetes and was too miserable to live.

(Photo may be subject to copyright, but I don't plan to use it for resale or any kind of profit.)

The real question implied by the title of this post is, Why doesn't anyone ever comment on my "Book Reviews and Movie Comments" (a feature in the left column of this blog)? Agree or disagree, but say somepn.

Steve and his crew are outside, blowing leaves off the porch and driveway, chopping down rosebushes, grinding up leaves, chopping off shrubbery, and cleaning the gutters. "How much do you want me to chop off?" he said, and I said, "Just chop until you get tired." You have to be severe with plant life, or it'll take over the lot and intrude into the rooms. Especially the kind of plant life that this lot grows. The roses are the only thing I've planted that will grow here; otherwise it's trees, shrubbery, grass, weeds, and nameless aliens; you can sit and watch them grow.

8 comments:

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Well, I haven't read P&P since college and I hardly remember anything about it. I've never seen the movie. But I enjoyed your review.

Joanne Cage said...

Thassallot.

JD Atlanta said...

!!! You do movie reviews? I have to confess, when I read a blog I only look in the main post area. I look at the other parts of the blog, but usually only once in a long while. Just a suggestion - why not post your reviews in the main area? That way, they will be more visible. Okay, now I'm going to read the review(s).

JD Atlanta said...

Okay - I'm not the biggest Jane Austin fan. I think I saw this movie (I dimly remember Donald Sutherland), but it didn't leave a very deep impression on my. It's a guy thing. I did enjoy another Jane Austin movie, though: Clueless with Alicia Silverstone. (It was based on Emma, or so I'm told).

Ramey Channell said...

Oh! I didn't know we could make comments about the Book Reviews. I must agree with JD Atlanta, although I read the stuff on the side, I usually only respond the the Big Middle of the blog.

But, in reference to Pride & Prejudice, I just read the most peculiar book, titled Mr. Darcy, Vampyre. It appears to be part of a series, but not all written by the same author. Elizabeth Bennett marrried Mr. Darcy, who turned out to be a vampire, who loved her dearly and didn't bite her. They had lots of adventures and close calls with other vampires.
The previous book in the series, which I haven't read, was called Mr. Darcy's Diary. Don't know if he was a vampire in that one, but I guess he was.

Who knew?

JD Atlanta said...

Regarding RC's comment--an odd coincidence. Back in the early 90s, I used to perform rap music under the name "Big Middle." My doctor finally convinced to loses bunch of weight, and with it went my hip hop career.

Joanne Cage said...

JD: I wish I had a photo of you when you were "Big Middle."

On second thought, I'm just as glad I don't.

Joanne Cage said...

RC: I heard about that book or books, but I had forgot about it. It's funny, in the book (Price & Prejudice), Darcy is such an overbearing cuss, but in the 2005 movie, he's so poorly-looking, hesitant and apologetic, you almost feel sorry for him.