Thursday, November 12, 2015

Ker-Blam!!!

Well, at least it wasn't a ghost. I'm shaking so that my fingers are typing by themselves, more accurately than I usually type.

I went to sleep on the sofa, then woke up later and thought my back door was open. It wasn't. I just looked around, made sure all the doors were locked and the front and back porch lights on, and lay back down on the sofa. About 4:15 a.m., something went CRASH! and shook the east side of the house. I woke up and thought, now, did I dream that, or--KER-BLAM!

Something definitely hit the house again. I jumped up and grabbed the phone, but couldn't see it well enough to dial. I ran to look out the kitchen window, and a guy was on the deck. He shone a flashlight through the window, and the back porch light went out. I finally got 911 on the phone and told them someone was breaking in.

Well, that's all the excitement except for my little shaky legs trying to hold me up. The police car arrived about five minutes later, and two policemen rang the doorbell. They asked me to describe the man. About all I saw was his face and the flashlight, but I told them he was medium height, 20's or 30's of age, and African American. I wish he had been white, but he wasn't.

They looked all around the house. I told them I thought the banging had been on the garage door. They said the door into the side of the garage was muddy, as if someone had been kicking it. The back porch light wasn't broken, but the bulb was unscrewed.

I'm almost grateful to the guy for being real. All the strange noises I've heard around this house have made me wonder if I was losing my mind.

The policemen left, saying they would cruise around the neighborhood until daylight, and that if I heard anything else to call 911 again. And that I had a very clean house. I said thanks.

I guess it doesn't happen when Jed's here, because his car would be parked in the driveway.

 
***

I just went into my bedroom, and one of the windows is broken. Glass all over the floor. And you tell me to quit smoking?

*

The policemen came back and wrote up a report of the incident, which they said would cost $15 if I requested a copy of it from the Department.

I'm glad I wasn't sleeping in my bed when that window broke. It's right by the head of my bed, and I would have passed out probably. The policeman found two rocks under the night stand.

I think I definitely will get a dog. One of those great big ones with huge jaws.

4 comments:

Deb said...

Oh my stars, Joanne!!! Can you have Ramey or someone stay with you a few nights?? Oh my gosh!! Besides being shook up, are you okay?? I know you are, I'm just asking/typing because I'm shook up!!! You must tell Jed, even though he is in NYC. If I lived there, you would stay with me till he got back.
Be safe, my dear friend. Try to sleep, now that it is almost daylight.
Love you,
Deb

Joanne Cage said...

Hey, Deb. I hope you read this. I'm okay. As I said, I'm a little bit relieved to find out I haven't been imagining or dreaming all this. Now I've got a muddy door and a broken window to prove it's real. Thanks so much for checking on me.

Deb said...

Okay...so, how have the last two nights been? When I was reading your post to Laura, she just sat there with her mouth open. I wonder if there is a motion- activated dog barking thingy you could buy to go along with the outside lights? It might deter someone from doing something, and you wouldn't need to feed or clean up after it!!
Let me know how things are, please. I'm a worrier at heart.
Love you

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Hey Jo, you know if you want to spend a few nights with me and Jesse (or a bunch of nights for that matter) you're always welcome.