Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Neighbors

My neighbor down the street, a Mrs. Reese, phoned this morning and commiserated with me about the attempted break-in and police visit, the refugee situation, and other knotty problems. She said a neighbor up the street had called and told her about it; that was probably Dine (I forget her last name). So you see, I do know some of my neighbors' names. I had met Mrs. R. before, some five or ten years ago, when the postal person delivered some of my mail to her address, and she brought it to me.

She called me Joan, but that's all right. I answer to anything that starts with a Jo, except Johnson.

*


This is what I'm reading now. I've often said that this is the best novel ever written. I've said the same thing about two or three other books. TOAFK may not be such great literature as The Brothers Karamazov, The Catcher in the Rye, or To Kill a Mockingbird, but it's certainly more entertaining. Longer, too.
*
I cried and screamed (silently) all through The Sword in the Stone.

2 comments:

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

I think Mrs Rogers (music teacher) used to call you Joan.

Deb said...

Did any of your neighbors have people prowling around their homes? I think that is the thing I worry about, with living on the bottom floor of the apartments. My patio is not enclosed and you can walk right up to the door. I don't sleep soundly, but I sure couldn't hear anyone if they tried to get in. I'm glad your window was fixed quickly. I do hope whoever did this gets caught.
Your soup looked so good! I picked up some beef vegetable soup from Campbell's, the type you do not add water to. It's not bad, but I do like to make my own. It has been so warm still and it just doesn't make me feel like cooking autumn/winter things yet.
That might change, as we are suppose to have 40 degree weather for several days and possibly snow tomorrow. Not holding my breath though :)
I do hope you have a nice weekend. It doesn't seem like Thanksgiving should be next week! Do you have any plans? Hope Jed can come and be there with you.
Well, I guess I'll stop chatting for now.
Love and hugs,
Deb