Saturday, June 19, 2010

"The Big Country"

During the thunderstorm today, I persevered in watching this fine old movie, even though the power kept going out and I had to keep fiddling with the TV. I think this is the movie that made me love Gregory Peck, many years ago. It almost made me love "the big country," too--all those rocks! Charlton Heston was pretty good, too, and Chuck Connors, Burl Ives, Charles Bickford, Jean Simmons and Carol Baker. For some reason, I flinched every time they threw a gun away or dropped one in the horse trough; I thought they must have been very rich to be so profligate with their guns.

4 comments:

JD Atlanta said...

There are lots of old Westerns that I need to see (or see again). But some older movies can be hard to watch, because they played the soundtrack too often & too loud for me!

Joanne Cage said...

This film was jumping around a lot, but it was probably because of the storm. The sound was OK.

Joanne Cage said...

I think this was Chuck Connors's first movie. It was before the "Rifleman" TV show.

JD Atlanta said...

I should have said "music" instead of "soundtrack." But I should give this a try.

Chuck Connors's best acting was in the opening credits to The Rifleman. He walks around shooting stuff, and at some point just looks into the camera, silently communicating the fact that if you don't like it, he'll shoot you, too.