Sunday, June 6, 2010

A Light-Bulb Moment!

It suddenly occurs to me what a comical (not to say pathetic) figure I must appear--always mentally scurrying around, trying to accomplish something, getting nowhere except back where I started.

Perpetually cleaning and adorning whatever living space I'm in, hardly noticing that it's always (and probably always will be) a total disaster area.

Perennially "writing a novel," with never anything to show for all the scribbling. Year in and year out, wondering what would be the best thing to do with my hair, and never making much of a change, while it grows wilder and thinner.

Forever examining and planning which church congregation I would best fit in, yet spending my Sundays and other days mostly alone. Wrestling daily (in my mind, at least) with my gnarled up finances, confident that tomorrow everything will even out--which it never does.

It really makes me smile. And I don't want any patronizing compliments to make me feel even sillier. I'm sure my road, to wherever I'm going, is and will be paved with my good intentions. Maybe they'll earn me a C+.

*
Last night I put three fat frozen chicken drumsticks in the crockpot, and today re-cooked the meat in a casserole with some good old Golden Rule barbecue sauce. Lunch was two little barbecue-and-pickle burgers, and it still makes my mouth water to think about it.

3 comments:

JD Atlanta said...

Chicken, especially the dark meat, makes the best bbq! I envy you on that. Peanut butter and banana sandwich for me today, maybe with a bowl of soup.

JD Atlanta said...

Whenever it comes to plans ... I've found that doing something small, every day, can lead to good things. So don't plan to change your life. Plan to spend 10 minutes every day on _________. Track what you do, so you can take pleasure in keeping up with your plan (or a little angry if you break your schedule too much). And plan to start again on the first day of every week. Once you have 10 minutes under control, then go to 15, or plan 10 minutes on something else.

Anyway, that's what works for me. I tried to exercise regularly for over 20 years before I started doing this. Now I exercise about 5 hours a week, and it has really made a difference!

Ramey Channell said...

Please see pertinent comment on Another Gully-Washer.