Friday, October 15, 2010

Finn McCool's stepping-stones

Or, Continued On Next Rock...

I have tentatively decided that I want to go to Ireland, just to see the Giant's Causeway.


The causeway is in northern Ireland. It's made up of basalt columns in mostly hexagonal shapes. I wonder if Caitlin saw it.

I'm sure there are other reasons for visiting Ireland, but this is the only sight I would really like to see and touch. If I had it to do over, I would be a geologist. How can such things be?

One legend has it that the giant Finn McCool (corrupted name to replace the unpronounceable real one) built it so he could walk to Scotland without getting his feet wet.

Anyway, if I could arrange to fly to Ireland, see the Causeway, and return to Alabama, all within 24-48 hours, I would most definitely make the trip.

2 comments:

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Me too! Me too! Let's go!

Ramey Channell said...

Those are amazing geological... irregularities. I'd like to see them. However, photos do a pretty good job.