Saturday, October 30, 2010

Titanic

I know what I'm going to be doing at seven o'clock this evening, Lord willing--watching "Titanic" for the umpteenth time. This one is the James Cameron film. I think I've seen just about every movie that has been made about that disaster; one starred Peter Gallagher and Catherine Zeta Jones. But this one with DiCaprio and Kate Winslett is my favorite.
*
Well, this was the big day, for me and Ramey both, as well as other Alabama poets. Jed came over and went to the State Poetry Society fall meeting with us. The luncheon was held at the beautiul Newton-Davis House in Odenville. The food and service were superb, and we had a large crowd, compared to attendance at some of the meetings in recent years.

Ramey won first prize in the "Parody" contest with a great take-off on a poem by Emily Dickinson.

I won two honorable mentions for little poems that I didn't expect would win anything. My "Mother Teresa" poem (on my blog August 30, 2010) won one of 4 prizes that were not designated as 1st, 2nd, etc. (Note: I find later that the winners were assigned places; mine won second place. The contest was named "When the Saints Go Marching In" and Wayne D. of Huntsville won first place with a really fine poem.)

The poem about the Madonna painting by Andrea del Sarto (see blog, September 27) won first prize in that contest. Then I nearly fainted, and did shed a tear or two reading it, when my poem "Ode: On Grief" won the "grand prize," first place in the Alabama State Poetry Society Fall 2010 Award.

Poet Jerri H. (a girl) of Huntsville won the "Performance Poem" award. Hers was a description of what it's like to be a poet--deep, humorous but also dramatic, and very true.

It was a delightful day--or would have been, if one's nerves hadn't been keyed up like banjo strings. Ramey had a book signing (of Sweet Music on Moonlight Ridge) after the meeting, at the new shopping mall; and shortly after we got home, Jed had to make tracks back to Atlanta--he's flying to Houston, Texas tomorrow.

I'm still going around in circles, but now I'm going to settle down and watch "Titanic."

4 comments:

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Well, holy moley! Congrats to you on all your prizes, especially the Grand Prize. And congrats to Ramey too. I'm proud be be y'all's sister.

knitwit said...

Congratulations Joanne,and also to Ramey. You are a very talented and creative family. I bet you 3 sisters had lots of fun when you were growing up together.
Ruth

JD Atlanta said...

Congratulations, Mom. I loved seeing you win your well-deserved awards, but most of all I loved hearing you recite. I was very moved.

You should record your poems on audio! They take on an extra dimension in your voice.

Ramey Channell said...

Big Congratulations! I was impressed by your poems and your awards, and your lovely self. You looked too stylish to be a poet! Your poems are great, and we had a fine time. As you said, the food and location were delightful.