Saturday, February 19, 2011

Feeling My Age but Acting OK, I Think

3,000 more words this morning. Then while I was eating a sandwich and a cookie, I lost my arrow and my keyboard and had to turn the computer off and on, etc.

One good thing about getting old is that you quit worrying so much about the future. I don't even dread getting dementia very much. While I worked at the Alzheimer's center, I heard so many funny stories from patients' families. One lady piled her dirty dishes on her kitchen counter, poured a whole box of detergent over them, then sprayed them with the hose from the sink. A gent with advanced AZD still scored 140 on an IQ test. Another patient, who came to the office with her family, followed me all around laughing like a hyena. If I get it, they can put me in a home, and I can go on having fun until the curtain closes. If they'll just let me have my books and computer or whatever toys I might like at the time.

*
About 5:30 p.m.: I read over all I've written from the beginning, and corrected as many typos as I noticed. I wasn't bored at all. I hope it will be interesting to anyone else who reads it.

The only other thing I've done today was put on some clothes and run the dishwasher.

3 comments:

JD Atlanta said...

Well, if you can write books, then you're probably doing okay.

Did you get your arrow and keyboard back?

Joanne Cage said...

After I manually turned the computer off and back on, it was OK.

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Most days now, I feel my age plus yours. Hey! I think I'll try that dishwashing technique. I was thinking I need to go buy a new dishwasher, but this just might work and be cheaper.