Sunday, February 13, 2011

My Favorite Quilt

It was in the 1970s, I guess, my mother was making quilts for my sister to sell to finance some project she had going. Jealous whelp that I was, I kept whining because Mama gave Susie so many quilts and never gave me one, so she finally gave me this quilt top.

I quilted it myself. This is the first quilt I ever stuck a needle into, and I love it the most of all. In the years after that, Mama gave me several quilts and tops, and this one, the Mexican Star, is worn and faded, but it's still my favorite.











Also, this is the style of quilt I like best--patchwork, hand-marked and hand-cut pieces, hand-sewn and imperfect. But I like appliqued quilts, and the modern machine-stitched, precision-cut works of art, too.

Around Christmas, I finally got the Una quilt bound and hung on the wall.


Someday I want to make a whole quilt like the top center block in the Una quilt. I don't know the name of the pattern or where I found it, but it looks pretty simple to reproduce.

2 comments:

JD Atlanta said...

These are beautiful. I love the literary quilt. It's like having a quilt with a college degree.

Ramey Channell said...

That Mexican Star is beautiful, as is the quilt with the college degree.