Sunday, February 27, 2011

Just a Scene or Two

I didn't write much today. This thing reads more like a play, except it's too long. Mostly dialogue. Maybe I'll write a play someday.

I just watched the last few minutes of "Sunrise At Campobello" on TCM, and at one point I couldn't help crying. Mostly for our poor country, that has slid steadily downhill ever since Eisenhower, who had just enough mischief in his heart to turn into a Republican. Not that there aren't some good Republican politicians, or some good people who are Republican politicians. Or used to be. Theodore Roosevelt. Everett Dirksen. Lowell Weiker. I think there was another one, but the name escapes me.

Yesterday I read in The New Yorker something that Rusty Schweickart thought when he was walking in space and looking down at the Earth.

"It is so small and so fragile and such a precious little spot in that universe that you can block it out with your thumb. And you realize that on that small spot, that little blue-and-white thing, is everything that means anything to you--all of history and music and poetry and art and death and birth and love."

God, keep us.

No comments: