Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Ka-boom!

This book I'm reading explains plates, tectonics, subduction, and all that stuff that causes earthquakes, tsunamis and volcanic eruptions. A lot of it also ties in with the David O'Brian books. I'm so poor in knowledge of geography, I had to spread my big National Geographic world map out on the living room table to see where everything is. I can't keep it straight in my head where Cape Horn and the Cape of Good Hope are situated--on the southern tips of which continents. For some reason, I thought the Falklands were near Australia, but they're off of South America. I found Mauritius, St. Denis and Reunion islands on the map.
*
More than 35,000 people were killed when Krakatoa exploded. At least two thirds of them were killed by the big waves caused by the explosion.

1 comment:

JD Atlanta said...

Somewhere on the web is a "mapping project" that shows the routes of all the major characters in the Patrick O'Brien books. Pretty interesting!