Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Oops!


I had a big long post going but accidentally lost it. It's just as well, I guess, and I'm certainly not going to do it again.
*
*
When I Was One-and-Twenty
*
As I was going to St. Ives
All in the month of May,
I met an aged, aged man
With hair like moldy hay;
*
His hair was weedy, his beard was long,
His boots were up to the thigh;
And I never saw a man who looked
So wistfully at the sky.
*
"Rain, rain, go away!"
He cried into the blue;
But the sun shone bright, where never lark
Or even eagle flew.
*
So now, whene'er I see my cat
Twirling the kitchen knives,
And look again, and find it's just
A bowl of leeks and chives;
I realize that sight grows dim
After old age arrives,
And I understand that man I met
A-going to St. Ives.
*
*
This is the last of the fall contest poems. It wasn't easy. In this category, you had to take lines from well-known poems and put them together to form what the sponsor called a "Cento." They may throw this one out on technical grounds, because I broke down halfway through and started making up lines.
*
I have small hope for the easy poems, ones I wrote quickly, like "Old Abe" and "Mother Teresa." But I'm entering 10, so maybe one or two of the old ones will win something.

1 comment:

JD Atlanta said...

Very "Alice"! I like it.