Thursday, September 9, 2010

The Reverse of the Medal

There's a very moving scene near the end of this book. Captain Aubrey is convicted of a crime, or an illegality, that he didn't commit, and is sentenced to be put into the stocks for an hour every day. News traveled fast, and on the day they put him in the stocks, it seems every onshore sailor and naval officer in England was there, gathered around him and chasing away the filth peddlers and abusers. When they had everything cleaned up, they set up a great cheer for Jack Aubrey, Post Captain, and stayed with him until he was released. He wasn't pilloried again.

*
Labor Day was lots of fun. Jed came over on Sunday and helped me clean and shop and cook, and we ate Sunday lunch at McAlister's (I had a "Big Nasty"--it wasn't pretty, but I ate the whole thing). We had hot dogs, beans, and potato salad for lunch on Monday, and Ramey brought a salad. I had invited all the family and Mable, but Mable couldn't come. Susan, Ramey, India, Buffy, Philip (Buffy's boyfriend) and Reed were here. I hope I didn't forget anyone.
*
Project Runway is on TV this evening. I think I'll order a pizza--I haven't had pizza since 'way back in the summer, sometime in July.
*
Every time I save a post, Google throws up an advertisement on my posting page that somehow relates to what I posted that day. Today it said, "The 9mm Won't Save You--What the Self Defense Masters and the Army Don't Want You To Know."

2 comments:

JD Atlanta said...

I love that scene.

The so-clever schemers have destroyed the reputation Jack values, and stolen the career that defines him. But they didn't take away his friends. They know what kind of man he is.

His sunny nature is dented, but not forever. In the next book he gets back out to sea - where he belongs.

JD Atlanta said...

And by the way - them dogs were cooked exactly the way dogs oughtta be! That was a great day.