Friday, January 18, 2013

Tribute To My Teachers


Their words that I remember:

"Mrs. Ramey, look at this painting by your little girl!" Clara DeShazo, first grade.

"You did that on purpose!" Pluma T. Kimbro, second grade.

"They sound good when she reads them." G.M. Ramey about Anne C. Layfield, third grade, reading my poems aloud.

"You may have the Valentine box." Norma Whitmire, fourth grade.

"Thank you for being honest." Margaret Pate (Burke or White?), fifth grade.

"'Frank and I,' Jimmy! 'Frank and I!'" Imogene Elgin, sixth grade (to "Can me an' Frank dust the erasers?")

"You would wear that dress!" Bertha Nel Allen, seventh grade (about an old-fashioned blue taffeta evening dress with a bustle effect, that my mother made.)

"I remember Joanne Ramey." Jane Hooten, eighth grade (many years later).

"We don't put our hands on our faces in the lab." Ellen Launius Harding, ninth grade. (This lab was where I asked Dwight N. if he would marry me. The only boy I ever proposed to.)

"I am an A-son, not a P-son." Beatrice Kitchens Thomason, tenth grade.

"Side-angle-side equals side-angle-side," with a beaming smile. James Piper, eleventh grade.

"Exackly!" Robert E. Cummins, twelfth grade.
"You have all these poetic ideas!" Beverly Hapgood, twelfth grade.

4 comments:

JD Atlanta said...

You have to let go of the stupid things people tell you. It's not easy, but it's worth it.

Ramey Channell said...

You didn't include 'Fessor Jones and Waterloo!

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Amazing that you remember all this. I think I'll try to remember some of the things my teachers said.
At least I remember most of the teachers you quoted.

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

What did Fesser say about Waterloo?