Saturday, January 11, 2014

1994

Great review of a great movie:


'"Shadowlands" . . . is intelligent, moving and beautifully acted [by Anthony Hopkins and Debra Winger]. It understands that not everyone falls in love through the avenue of physical desire; that for some the lust may be for another's mind, for inner beauty.' - Roger Ebert, January 7, 1994.


Ebert's review: http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/shadowlands-1994


Julian Fellowes was in that movie.


A Dab of Recognition:


1994 was also the year that, led by my supremely talented sister Ramey, I joined the Alabama State Poetry Society, won my first prizes and thought well, maybe verse is the way to go instead of writing novels and sticking them back in a drawer for shame, as I had done several times before.


Now we are engaged in a great book publishing enterprise, the enterprise greater than the book is likely to be. Rowan Wood Press (namely me), mostly through the dogged collaboration of Mr. James DeWitt Cage, will publish The Lightness of the Dark, Poems by Joanne Ramey Cage, this month if we're lucky, next month if we hit a snag. If anyone wants to rush in and contribute blurbs of high praise beforehand, come on down.


Crazy Computer:


When I hit the return key, it throws in an extra line space. Don't blame me.


Crazy Critters:


I went into the kitchen for another cup of coffee, and out the window I saw a chipmunk (or a little bobtailed squirrel) run up behind a bird and nip at its tail.

3 comments:

Deb said...

Oh Joanne, I can't even see the keyboard to type because I'm crying!!! I am so wonderfully happy for you! Please let me know how I can purchase your book. I keep the book you sent me on my desk, as it should be. To be published is an amazing thing. Maybe someday I'll be brave enough to do it. I'm sending tons of hugs and kisses at you, so I hope you feel them :) I am so happy for you.
Sweet dreams tonight,
Deb

JD Atlanta said...

Just watched the first episode of Downton. I'm sorry they handled O'Brien's departure off camera. I would have loved to see her face when she found out that a house had landed on her sister.

Joanne Cage said...

Jed: She had an expression something like that when Bates asked her about "her Ladyship's soap" in Season 3.