Friday, January 24, 2014

Sittin' On Ready (?????)

Last night I watched a TV feature titled "Catholicism Is Right!" This mush-mouthed Canadian-Englishman went through the facts as we all know them. The Roman church was first. The New Testament didn't exist in published form until the Catholic churchmen organized and published it. The Pope isn't perfect off of the throne, only his official pronouncements on the faith are infallible. There have been bad Popes, but none of them ever preached heresy. (And I thought, Is that about to change?) And so forth. Mush-Mouth had me right ready to run over to Saint Theresa's.


For a long time, I have been yearning for the Catholic church, been on the verge several times of calling Father Naughton to have a little talk. Part of me wants the fellowship of a church, not necessarily the fellowship of its more vocal members. I'm a member of the Episcopal church, which is right down the road from me. I've been there. There's a Catholic church almost exactly a mile from here.


Sometimes I wish they were farther away, and I didn't have to feel guilty every time I drive by one of them. Or in my head hear ____________ yapping or see ____________ grinning or __________ putting out the garbage. Or imagining that pretty soon one or the other of them will be conducting an unorthodox wedding.


I trust that I'm a member of God's Church. That'll probably have to be it, unless I break down and accept a few things that I don't believe, and become more tolerant of crowds of people.


It's sort of like the reason I never remarried. I could foresee a breakup in every case.

1 comment:

Deb said...

I have wanted to be Catholic since I was very young. Something about it just draws me to it. I think I like the way they celebrate all of their religions holy days; it helps people remember about all of the sacrifices the early Catholics made for their beliefs.
It might sound strange, but I have never gone to a Catholic church, other than funerals, because I didn't want my mother and her family to find out. I know, I'm a grown adult, but the woman can still make me feel guilty!
My father was raised Episcopalian, and later in life, he started going to the Catholic church near him.
Since my divorce, I have had a problem going back to the Baptist church that I am a member of.My ex still attends there, along with his new wife, who happened to have been my best friend. Long story for another day.
Anyway, I think if I do ever start attending church again, it will be the Catholic church. I do know that I will be very careful how I get involved in the church.(See the above paragraph for this explanation.)
So, to change the subject, have you heard anything about your book? I am so excited and can't wait to see it! I am so happy for you!
Have a good night.
Hugs...