Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Start Over With Master and Commander?

Today I finished the last of the Jack Aubrey books, Blue At the Mizzen. I think they could as accurately be called the Stephen Maturin books. In the penultimate volume, The Hundred Days, Napoleon was put down, and Stephen lost his wife and never said a word about her more--the incomparable Diana Villiers ignored Jack's warning about her reckless driving and eclipsed herself. Maybe Stephen was, while grieved, also a bit relieved. At any rate, scarcely a whole book later, he proposes to a widow. Jack is awarded his blue flag of the admiralty, and everybody is rich and more or less mollified.

I wouldn't pick out any one book of the Aubrey series and say it's the best book I've ever read; but the whole bunch of them made one of the notable reading experiences of my life. The Bible was better. Otherwise. . .

I've been sort of wandering around, lonesome and at loose ends, since Big Baby is truly done. Now it's even worse, with all the Aubrey books finished. Yesterday I had a lot of business to keep me busy--pay bills, get insurance on the Tracker, I forget what-all. Tomorrow I'll probably get the Lincoln towed out of the garage and donated. Friday is book club day, and I'm about halfway through the book, Major Pettigrew's Last Stand.

2 comments:

Deb said...

I know what you mean about WalMart. I normally feel like I have been through a battle when I get done there. Most of ours are Super WalMarts, so they get pretty crowded. I normally go there only when I need fabric or cat food. Can't deal with the crowds!
Did you get your house done for your group that is coming? I do the same thing; try to make the house perfect for the 30 minutes someone will be there. My kids get on me about that! I have been reading alot lately; I'm feeling rather restless. Not that I don't have a ton of things to do. I have to move within the next several months, but am not looking forward to it, so I read! Doesn't make the move any better, but I feel better for a while! Anyway, I have discovered a new author to me, Sarah Addison Allen. She has 4 books out. I have read 'Garden
Spells' which I couldn't put down. I am going to start "The Peach Keeper'. I also am reading '100 Essential American Poems'. Wonderful book. I found several poems that I had forgotten about and some new ones. When you get your book published, let me know. I will be buying it! I have written you a letter, hope you don't mind. It is about your book of poetry. I really have enjoyed it. Have an amazing day.
Hugs,
Deb

JD Atlanta said...

I know how you feel about the Aubry books.

Glad to hear that you are almost free of the Lincoln!

Jed