Sunday, November 23, 2008

Long visit with an old friend

Bonnie O'Neal came to visit early this afternoon, and we talked until it was getting dark. Took a long time to catch up on about 30 years of hardly ever seeing each other. We've promised to get together more often, now that we live close together.

Tomorrow is poetry reading night at the Arts Council, and this time I'm going to remember to go! I've missed the meetings ever since early last summer. That is, I'll go if my car will start. This evening after Bonnie left, I noticed I had a nearly flat tire, and I eased up to the Chevron station, stopped by the air pump and figured out how to put air in the tire. Then when I got back in the car, it wouldn't start, so I had to beg a jump start--or got my favorite clerk to beg one for me from a guy he knew. When I got home, I cleaned the crud off the battery and sprayed the contacts with Pam (which is what the jump-starter said to do), then I started the car again and let it run for a while--with the garage door open; I didn't want that woman who lives in a little box up near the ceiling in my hallway to start yelling, "Carbon monoxide! Carbon monoxide!" My nervous state couldn't have stood it.

No comments: