Friday, November 28, 2008

Post-holiday musings

What a wonderful holiday we had yesterday! Sister Pat and niece India joined Jed and me for what Jed said was the best Thanksgiving dinner he could remember. Pat brought a delicious corn casserole that, for me, was the hit of the meal, and my sweet potato pie made by her recipe was OOOK. Jed's free-range turkey was a perfect fit for my oven, and cooked up to a gorgeous golden-brown color--and tasty? Mmm-mmm.

Jed also brought a new flat-screen TV and installed it in place of the one in the living room, which was still, to me, the "new one." (He said it was for himself, so that he doesn't have to look at lines and mysterious black boxes on the old screen; but I'm allowed to look at it, too.)

Today I sold a book (I Wonder As I Wander, Langston Hughes's autobiography), and the mailman brought me a new one (Atonement, by Ian McEwan). I've started reading Atonement, but haven't yet reached the nonboring part.

Jed went back to Atlanta this afternoon, after our sumptuous lunch on yesterday's leftovers.

*
Last night I dreamed about Robert Frost. I was at one of his lectures, and was talking with him before the program. I told him I had read all of his works and memorized some of the poems. "And what have you learned?" he asked. I had a feeling he meant what great wisdom had I gathered from his works, but I just recited a couple of his poems. He gave me a well-worn little book of them, about 8 inches high by 4 wide.

1 comment:

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

You beat all, Jocephus! I thought Atonement was a wonderful book. Keep reading.