Thursday, March 4, 2010

More about Cicero than I wanted to know

This book was published in the UK under the title of Lustrum. It changes the way I thought about Rome. Especially my suppressed admiration for Julius Caesar. Gah!
*
*
*
Cicero was born January 3, 106 B.C. Lawyer, statesman, philosopher. Also a typical Capricorn. Murdered in December 43 B.C.

*
At least he outlived Caesar. It was left for Marc Antony to have him killed.

I don't think I want to read the third book in the trilogy, which isn't published yet.

My final impression is that Augustus (Octavian) was probably the best thing that could have happened to Rome at that period. "Best" only in the sense of the least of many evils. It was all a bloody mess.

2 comments:

JD Atlanta said...

Well, there really isn't a "happy" time in the Roman Empire! But reading these books does make me want to find "Lest Darkness Fall" by L. Sprague de Camp and give it another read.

Ramey Channell said...

I think the Romans, all of them, were, to quote Mr. Engle, "running to and fro to destruction."