Saturday, March 6, 2010

Soup du jour

This is all that's left of the big pot of soup I made yesterday, after I ate like a hog and gave some to Ramey and India. It's a poor imitation of McAlister's tortilla soup, but it's pretty good, lacks the flavor of the roasted jalapenos and cilantro and stuff that I didn't have on hand. I put just about everything else I had on hand into it, including a package of potato flakes and a package of four-cheese sauce mix, to thicken it. Mo insisted he wanted some. I said, "It's got pepper in it, Mo," and he said, "But it smells so goooood!" Which was right.

I had to take the bowl away from him, for fear it would make him throw up. Which it did.

Last night Ramey and I scanned some photos of Uncle Cobb, Paw Paw and GMR to send to Cobb's great-granddaughter. I emailed them to Pat this morning, and she's going to send them on to--I think the granddaughter's name is Susan. Good name. After our Susan was born, I was jealous, wishing they had named me Susan after Maw Maw instead of Sara after Granny. But as I grew, I came to like all my names OK. Especially after learning that Paw Paw had wanted to name me Willie Christine.

I picked our Susan's middle name, Elaine; I had probably been reading about the Lady of
Shalott. When Pat was born, I wanted to name her Stephanie. Banty (Millard) Isbell wanted to name her Patricia Kay, but Mama didn't like Kay all that much (and wouldn't even talk about Stephanie), so she settled for Patricia Ann, which is prettier but not as euphonious.

I wish we could have a National Ramey Family Reunion, and see who-all would turn up.

1 comment:

JD Atlanta said...

You should start a Ramey Family Reunion group on Facebook!! :)

Wish I had some of your soup. My freezer is getting low - just a few bowls of turkey, and a half-dozen of black bean. Need to cook some split pea and maybe even some chili!

Jed