Sunday, June 21, 2009

And the beat-beat-beat-beat-beat goes on...

Today the workers are at it again. They took Sunday off on Saturday. Maybe they're Jewish. Funny, they don't look...etc. If I had known they wouldn't be working yesterday, I would have slept more.
*
I have to say, about that siding they're putting up. It's fabulous, and I don't know how a nail ever goes through it. It's made of "cement fiber," whatever that is, guaranteed waterproof for 50 years. They're really doing a beautiful job, making different-size boards out of 2x4s to save money. I asked Willis how he ever afforded all that shop equipment, and he just looked mournful and said, "Thirty years, thirty years."

On the minus side, part of that little V of roofing at the top of the chimney has also rotted. They're going to repair it, and said the repair won't leak.

On the plus side, one of the first things they did Wednesday was replace the garage-window glass that I, in a locked-out frenzy, broke out with a brick.
*
The plant catalog said 10% off, plus $25 off on an order of $50 or more. Wurra the day! I ordered more plants, but they won't ship (or charge) (or need holes) until September. More hydrangeas (white); those bushy pink daisies I have always wanted; sweet peas already started; a couple of sorbet peonies so doubled and full they look like those big flowers we used to make out of pink Kleenex. This time I'm going to plant the peonies in the sun, and transplant the 2-3 almost-never-blooming ones that I planted in the shade in 2006.

A few weeks ago, I scratched up the surface of that mound by the drainage ditch in back, and sprinkled a packet of Johnny-jump-up seeds over it, not hoping for much. But they sprouted and grew, some of them, and once they're established they'll spread.

I hope.

No comments: