Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Famous Quotations

They run in my head like that news strip at the bottom of the screen on CNN.


"Where is that goat? Huh? Huh?" -- Sarah D. Satterfield

"ROTC ain't a disease, Will." -- from "No Time for Sergeants"

"I must be up betimes, for I have a great work to do." -- Charles I of England, the morning of his last day

"I have a terrific headache." -- Patricia Neal (Dahl)

"Jo-anne is jealous of Bet-ty Joyce." -- Missouri Ella Isbell

"That little thing ain't got its eyes open yet." -- Bobbie Lee Ramey

"God does not play dice with the universe." -- Albert Einstein re: quantum theory

"...aspyrin and tranquil-easers..." -- Tennessee Ernie Ford in spoof of Connecticut Yankee

"I always knew I was not the best knight of the world." -- Lancelot of the Lake

"I would certainly like to be president." -- Adlai E. Stevenson

"To me, the great adventure is to stay in Paris and write a novel." -- Francoise Sagan to friends who invited her to go to Africa with them

"Oh, my darling! If you go, what shall I do?" -- "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn." -- Scarlett and Rhett

"The eagle has landed." -- Neil Armstrong

"Tom! You, Tom!" -- Aunt Polly

"Now is the winter of our discontent/ Made sunny summer by this son of York." -- Richard III

"Permit me to ignite your cigarette." -- Peter O'Toole as Lawrence of Arabia

"Joanne's gettin' fat as a bear!" -- Gordy Ramey

"I am an A-son, not a P-son." -- Beatrice K. Thomason

"I can't eat flowers." -- Stella Isbell

"This is Karl Pickens perking." -- Karl Perkins on Alabama public radio broadcast

"Oh, goddammit, we forgot the silent prayer!" -- Dwight D. Eisenhower opening Cabinet meeting

"Who are those men?" -- Butch Cassidy (Paul Newman)

"He'll probably make as good a president as he did an actor." -- Ava Gardner

"I don't write for posterity. What did posterity ever do for me?" -- Lytton Strachey

"He's a good fellow, and 't will all be well." -- The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam

"You'd hit yore momma before you'd hit me!" -- Dolly Parton

"Of course, you may have the baby! I'll send him to you as soon as he's weaned." -- Arthur Wing Pinero's mother to her sister, when Arthur was born 12th of 12 children

"Was you ever in a torpedo?" -- Joanne Ramey, age 7, to visiting serviceman

2 comments:

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

I like these--especially the Dwight D. quote.

Ramey Channell said...

I love your famous quotations! When did Dovie say "Where is that goat? Huh? Huh?"

I'm going to steal your idea and do this same thing on my blog. Maybe it will get me out of my blog-rut.

RC