Sunday, June 14, 2009

High Hopes

I got all the hydrangeas planted. The holes were just right, but this soil, even wet, is hard and lumpy and obviously has a lot of clay in it. I put Miracle-Gro in the bottom of the holes, and the plants were in little plastic pots with dirt around the roots, so maybe they'll do OK. Yes, I was smart enough to throw the plastic pots away. Must say, I'm proud of me for digging all those holes, and of Mo for helping.

Even if the plants don't do as well as expected, even if crows and other critters dig them up--I've already got a lot of satisfaction out of knowing I planted them right. And just imagining a row of tall green plants, with huge heads of beautiful blue flowers, is better than not having tried to grow them.

The hydrangeas by the side of the house are blooming, but this year they're pink and lavender. You have to add minerals to the soil to control the colors, acid (aluminum sulphate) for blue, alkali (lime) for pink. The new ones ought to be blue without extra acid, under the trees with all those decaying leaves.
*
The week ahead is going to be Una's Quilt Week. I'm going to get a good start, Lord willing, on completing the quilt top.

No comments: