Sunday, February 14, 2010

The Kind I Love But Don't Want


Fireball is his name, listed on FCDF in January. Just look at this little toy poodle! Looks like a real stuffed toy. He's five years old, blind in one eye, and only weighs 4 pounds. What in the world could you do with a four-pound dog? If you stepped on his foot, you'd have to take him to the hospital.
*
And this is Barney, a "maltipoo." He's a cutie, but I can just feel those little sharp teeth closing on my ankle bone or fingers.
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
Jack called me last night. He said he was in the UAH library when the professor killed three of her colleagues and wounded three others. Academia is a risky world, in several different ways.
*
Jack said he has applied for a Pell grant and thinks he'll get it. He wants to study history, and meanwhile take an X-ray technician course so he can get a better job.

6 comments:

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Excellent news about Jack. Bad news about the professor's shooting spree.

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

You should go on the Bham Human Society Facebook (friend them). They post beautiful dogs and cats every week. I'm going to have to get off it. I want ever one I see. I would have had me one a few weeks ago, but Thank God she god adopted before I could contact them.

Ramey Channell said...

You show too many cute dog pictures. I want every one I see.

Who is Susan Ramey Cleveland? She seems to leave comments on your blog a lot, but never on mine!

Trois

Joanne Cage said...

I really, really want this hound dog (Shiloh). Does anyone with a good set of tires want to drive me over to the H. Society? Mo can like it or lump it.

No, I take it back. It would be too cruel. That dog needs a farm and some woods, so he can learn what a coon is.

Ramey Channell said...

Somehow having a dog is not what it used to be. It used to be that having a dog was having a companion, a sure and reliable presence in your home and in your life, someone who kept the booger-men away, and lay around close to whatever heat source was available.

Now, having a dog is like having a baby on steroids. Needy all the time, demanding all the time, nerve-wracking all the time, making you worried all the time for the dog's safety, upkeep, health.

I love dogs and want almost every one that I see. But it's not like the old days, I can tell you.

All dog lovers may send me hate mail, but this just reflects my current observations with my dog and other people's.

Signed,
Bah Humbug

Joanne Cage said...

I know you're right, that owning a dog is not what it used to be. One reason is, we used to have our parents to be responsible, and to blame if the pet wasn't treated just right. And we hardly ever lived in the middle of town where we had to worry about dog catchers and fenced yards, collars and tags and so on.

But at least now, we don't have to worry about them having bunches of puppies that we have to get rid of. I don't know which is better, now or then.

In another way, it's worse now. With access to so much information, we see so many animals that we'd like to own or at least protect. Better, in that we can choose our pets instead of having them thrust on us by people we live with!