Thursday, February 11, 2010

Looking Up At the Worm's Belly

That's what Mrs. John R. (Bessie) Thomason used to say she was doing when she was depressed. Depressed doesn't necessarily mean you're moaning and groaning and saying poor poor me, why does it always rain on me. It mostly means a big universal blank, where you don't have enough energy/ambition/ability to open a door even if you could see one. And you wonder vaguely why you don't even care.

So something forces you to stand up, straighten your back, flex all your musckles, and go get a handful of pills and another cup of coffee. Eventually, things get better, because that's all they can get, mindwise.

You know that tomorrow you'll get out of the house and look at the snow (yeah, snow, I'll believe that when I see it), and there will be people, and sounds other than head noises or yourself whistling in the dark.
***

Someone, I think Sylvia Plath, described this state before. Since it's a true description, I'm going to leave it in here instead of erasing it. I think this is probably the reason Sylvia was so damsilly when she was being vocal; she was so glad to be temporarily out of the trough.

You have to keep getting up and constructing something upon which to rejoice. Some poet said that a little better.

5 comments:

JD Atlanta said...

Mom -- Please don't feel like you're helpless! And get some exercise RIGHT NOW. Yes, it's only a temporary remedy, but it does help - I know. And you can always do a little more tomorrow.

I love you very much - hang in there and move around some! Depression has a harder time hitting a moving target.

Love - Jed

Joanne Cage said...

Right! Run in a zig-zag pattern! Thanks, Jed, I love you, too. And that's what I do; sometimes I even dance.

buffy said...

Thanks, Joanne. That was all stuff I needed to read.

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

ANd who is that cute doggie???? Dogs are also good remedy for depression. Mine won't let me be still long enough to get depressed.

Ramey Channell said...

CUTE dog! And good luck with the zigging and zagging. And there's always the Thrift Store: guaranteed remedy for depression/anxiety/anything else.

Trois