Thursday, February 18, 2010

What was I thinking? Or was I thinking?

I fervently hope no one is planning to give me a puppy for Easter--or a kitty or a bunny or anything else with hair all over itself. The other night, or the night before the other night, it suddenly occurred to me that I DO NOT WANT A DOG! And I remembered that it's a lot easier to love stuff and critters that I don't own.

Thanks to Ramey for bringing me the book for the meeting tomorrow, which was postponed from last Friday because of the snow. It's a wonderful book. I wish a few former U.S. presidents and cabinet members, old and decrepit as they are, were forced to do penance by accomplishing exactly what Greg Mortenson did. Dodging bullets all the while. Instead of giving them a pension, we ought to require that they do public service for the rest of their days. That would appreciably cut down the field at election time.

1 comment:

Ramey Channell said...

I totally agree with the public service idea. Former presidents frequently do end up doing public service. (Some just by leaving office.) Jimmy Carter and Roselyn have been very actively involved in serving mankind since leaving the White House.

And, I agree; Greg Mortenson is an astonishingly praise-worthy individual. A good role model for everyone.