Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Whew!



*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
What a silly word! It really is a dictionary word, but defined as "a sharp breath sound," as opposed to saying "whyou." When I do it, it also involves an "sh" sound in there somewhere. It perfectly describes the way I felt yesterday when I got all the running around, mailing and shipping done. Toting all those boxes, padded mailers and envelopes to the post office made me wish I had a mule.
*
Speaking of mules, there's a fine article about them in the February 15/22, 2010 issue of The New Yorker.
*
Shown above are some of the things I mailed to eBay buyers. The quilt blocks and pieces filled a big box, but didn't weigh very much. The platter came from the thrift store, I think; it's like the dishes I chose when I got married, but I had long ago sold off all of those at yard sales. The little missal (1-1/2 x 1 inch, but complete and readable) was printed in 1935, a favor from Elmwood Cemetery where SDS and Grand-Daddy Will are buried; I found it at a shop that used to be across 7th Avenue from Hanna Antiques.

1 comment:

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

I remember those dishes from when you lived in the apartment in East Lake. I thought they were so modern. I remember making a lemon meringue pie at that apartment, using a can of frozen lemonade. But I can't remember where I put my car keys most days.