Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Changes

. . . There's been a change in the weather and a change in the sea--
From now on there'll be a change in me;
My walk will be different, my talk and my name--
Nothing about me is gonna be the same:
I'm going to change my way of living, and if that ain't enough,
I'll even change the way I strut my stuff!
Nobody wants you when you're old and gray--
There'll be some changes made today--
There'll be some changes made!

(Benny Goodman)

*
I keep waiting for the remorse to set in, about all or some of the items I've got rid of lately. So far, I'm just glad I don't have to put up with, worry about, or feel guilty over them any more. There were three beautiful granny-square afghans in the basement that Jenny made. Thank goodness, there wasn't any mold or grunge of any kind on them; all they needed was a fresh laundering to look new. I've sold one of them and eBay-listed another, and am keeping the one I like best:

That makes two afghans or throws that I've sold, one listed, and eight more that right now I can think of in the house.

*

Pork-and-Bean Pie for lunch.

Recipe:

Dump a can of baked beans in a casserole, add some chopped up roasted weiners and the half a cup of white wine you left in your glass last night. Mix pretty well. Top with a pi made of Stonehenge-like slices of a single frozen pie crust. Bake until you remember to take it out of the oven.

Bake the rest of the pie crust at the same time, then throw it away because it's burnt black. (Optional: Throw the remains of the pie crust away before baking.)

With a big plateful of shredded lettuce, I think this will make a great lunch. No matter what anyone else thinks about how it looks.

Someday I'm going to write a cookbook called "Casual Cooking." Or "Causal Cooking."

2 comments:

Ramey Channell said...

Hooray for you and Benny Goodman!

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

When I first started purging back in March or April or whenever it was, I just knew I'd be sorry later. So far, I have been nothing but relieved. And it's not like you're destroying anything. Somebody will be enjoying these things we're passing on.