Monday, July 12, 2010

Signing them books!


Here Ramey is, signing lots and lots of books. There was a fairly large crowd at the Arts Council yesterday. I haven't found out yet how well it went sales-wise, but for a while there, it looked like she was about to sell out

Attendees I remember: Bonnie, Mable, Joe W., Joan D. and her husband, Sherry, India, Buffy and Reed, Susan, Grady Sue, Debbie, Mondretta and another library employee whose name I don't remember, a bunch of people I didn't know, several whose names I should remember but don't, and me. I was so thrilled to see such a good turnout, and I'm sure Ramey was, too. She read a chapter from Sweet Music On Moonlight Ridge, to generally hilarious responses.

When it was all over, Ramey, Susan, Bonnie, Sherry and I celebrated at a little restaurant in Moody. Such a good day!

*
More ideas for my house: The wood parts of the tiny front porch will have to be replaced sometime soon, and it occurs to me that we could emphasize the Arts and Crafts style with a couple of those tapered half-columns on brick bases, holding up the handrails. I've seen a lot of them on stone bases or half-columns, but brick would go better with this house. I personally wouldn't want a portico, as it would cut down the light on the front of the house, but just to replace the posts and rails.

I also saw an idea online that might provide our deck with some shelter from the hot sun--why not build a pergola on the deck? You wouldn't have to tear into the roof or do anything fancy; just throw up some 2 x 4s and add enough of a roof to give some shade for a sitting area. It's something to think about for the future.


*

Also yesterday, Bonnie brought some photos that she found in the possessions of her deceased mother, Marie, who was a friend of our family. I had never seen this one of my mother, and thought all my graduation photos were lost.










2 comments:

JD Atlanta said...

I love these two pictures. Regarding the hand rails, etc. - let's see how the door works out. The door may let in so much light that you wouldn't mind some shade.

Ramey Channell said...

Thanks for the pictures of my booksigning! I think it was a success! I enjoyed it immensely, especially the hilarity.

I can't wait to see your new door in place. And I like both the pictured ideas for further changes.