Thursday, July 29, 2010

Poems and Heroes

These lines kept running through my mind, and I wanted to read the whole poem:

Bear down upon me, winds of destiny;
I'll show you how to tote a heavy load!

I'll show you how to breathe hot wind that's free!
I'll show you how to climb a boney road!

I thought they were by Countee Cullen, but can't find them anywhere. I remember first reading that poem when I was 10 or 12 years old, and I thought it was a pretty reckless challenge. "Just asking for it!"

Countee Cullen, 1903-1946

Even if he didn't write it, he was that brave and stoical.
*
My lamp arrived yesterday, something of a disappointment. It's in brand-new condition, and will go perfectly in the living room. But I thought it was yellow, and it turns out to be green. And the shade sits too high.

*

All-Day Singing and Dinner on the Grounds

I wonder if any of the old country churches still hold such events. If I could find one that does, I might join it.

3 comments:

JD Atlanta said...

The lamp still looks nice.

By the way - the installer for Lowe's is supposed to call me soon. No one gave him our info until I shook the tree this afternoon.

We're getting there, just very slowly!

Ramey Channell said...

I love the green lamp!

Wish't you could find the source of the poetry.

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

I do love that green lamp. I have a white one that's a little bit like it. Except it's white, and a different shape. and it doesn't have the little flowers or curly cues or whatever. But otherwise, it's a lot like it.