Friday, July 6, 2007

...And the rains came


At long last! This afternoon it rained and rained and rained! The back yard was flooded, but it drained off pretty fast, thanks to the drains and the pump. Around 5 p.m. the electricity went off but came back in an hour or so. Pat called me a few minutes ago and said that a huge tree fell up at the corner of Elizabeth Street and Rowan. Pat's power went off, sounds like about the same time mine did, but hers was still off when she called. There wasn't any wind, just rain, so I don't understand why the tree fell.

Jed left here right before the rain started. Maybe he ran out of it between here and Atlanta. On this trip he brought me a book to sell. It's really a fascinating book, about the manufacture of PVC plastics. I read a chapter or two, till it got too technical to follow, and glanced through most of the remainder of it, which I had to do anyway to see if there were any marks in it. No marks or dirt, just perfect. He also brought me a pedometer, which I would probably never have remembered to buy for myself.

For our lunch today, I made a big pot of beef stew. It turned out pretty good, but I forgot the Louisiana hot sauce.

Oh--yesterday Buffy and Jason came by. I had asked Jason Wednesday if he would come and help get the couch out of my bedroom and into the living room. He and Jed toted the overstuffed, clawed-up sofa out of the living room to the basement, and then all of us together figured out how to get the big one out of my bedroom and into the living room (using Jason's and Jed's muscles, of course). I am SO grateful to have that done. The book club meets here next Friday, and I would just be mortified if somebody had to sit on that dirty, ragged sofa. I covered the brown one up with the biggest bedspread in the house.

2 comments:

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

I want a copy of that three Ramey sisters photo. I tried to illegally copy it off your blog, but then I just get a little bitty photo. I want a full size one. Oh, BTW, I won't be at book club Friday 'cause we're going to the beach (me and Vann). See ya!

JD Atlanta said...

That was good stew! By the way, the picture may be on the CD I gave you -- I'm not sure. The file name is "Pat Susan and Mom 2.jpg." Susan, if you don't have a copy, let me know and I'll send you one.