Friday, July 13, 2007

The Bookmarkers' July meeting

Boy, did we have a good meeting today! Present were Pat (Ramey), Barbara Estes, Mary Undeutsch, Peggy Uptain, Nell Richardson, and Betty White. I had made a big bowl of fruit salad and some little sandwiches, with pecan sandies and a bowl of mixed nuts, plus some wine and some cokes. Pat won my beautiful door prize, a hanging tea light holder, gold-tone, with lots of clear and colored crystals, and she liked it a lot. Barbara was just one day out of her sickbed from having food poisoning. Mable didn't come because she was "feeling puny," she said.

Everyone liked the book a lot. From now on, I think the club needs to lay off of big long books like that, though. Poor little Peggy started reading the book (Ahab's Wife by Sena Naslund) in January and was only half-way through. Betty White said she started it in January but managed to finish it in the past few days. Nell and Mary, Barbara and I did most of the talking or introducing points. It's amazing, I didn't re-read it, and thought I didn't remember a lot of details. But once we started talking about it, I remembered just about everything, even some of the quotations Barbara and Nell had written down.

I think everyone had a good time. I did, but I'm afraid I talked too much.

We had a little bit of rain today during and after the meeting.

3 comments:

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Glad book club went well. Sorry I couldn't be there, but I'm getting a lot of reading and sewing done here. Have almost finished one book and one quilt top.

Joanne Cage said...

Are you hand-stitching the quilt top, or did you take the sewing machine with you?

Hope y'all are having a swell vacation. Book club was great. I slept just about all day today.

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

I took my Singer Featherweight. I'm almost finished with the quilt top. Just have to sew on the borders.