Saturday, December 12, 2009

A beautiful day?

Every time I look outside, I expect to see snow falling. It's that kind of a day, but only a few tiny raindrops or something occasionally. It feels good to pop out onto the deck or porch for a few breaths of clear cold air, and then back into the warm house.

Our book club Christmas party yesterday was really great. I took some nuts, wine, (store-bought) pecan shortbread cookies, paper plates and plastic utensils to leave for later, and my bag of ornaments that (I hope) everyone liked. I kept this one -


and gave the 3-4 leftovers to Ramey because she has put up her Christmas tree. Mary Anne, Nell, and our new member (whose name I forget, as I haven't met her) were absent. Carol, Peggy and Chris have been not-attending for a long time, for various good reasons.
*
We talked about a few books, anyway, although it was just a party, and made donations to the library in honor of the late Jane Culbreth for whom the library is named. Susan mentioned Shape of Illusion and the new Stephen King book, Under the Dome, that she's reading. Of course, Betty and I had to go over Shantaram again; I think it was her and my favorite book in 2009. Also, someone mentioned The Awakening Land, by Conrad Richter, which we read in (I think) 2007.
*
We also signed up for hosting book club in the months of 2010. I chose April, and have to find a good book for that month. Betty chose January, and the book she recommended is Nancy Swimmer, by Clyde Bolton.

2 comments:

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

I love my yoyo orn. Thanks for bringing them, and those macadamias too. Love macadamias.

Ramey Channell said...

Thanks for the beautiful ornaments; they look beautiful on the tree. Your creativity is inspiring.

Trois