Saturday, December 5, 2009

I have to say it.

I'm very proud that the Crimson Tide beat the Florida Gators 32-13 for the SEC championship. The cheering was sort of dampered for me, though, watching that Florida quarterback cry. I felt sorry for him, but it put me in mind of seeing Martina Navratilova crying when she got beaten. At that time, I thought, "Can you imagine Chrissie Evert crying because she lost a tennis match?" And I didn't feel a bit sorry for Navratilova. It's different, though, seeing a big cute boy shed tears, gave me sort of a sick feeling. They need to teach 'em sportsmanship as well as football. After all, Florida won it last year, and did you see any Bama guys crying?

Anyway, today I saw Nick Saban smile for once.

4 comments:

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Tebow broke my heart. Those tears running down over his Bible verse on his eye blacks. Bless his little spoiled rotten heart. I cried too. But he had to learn that you can't win every time. He was supposed to learn that when he was about 3 years old. ROLLL TIDE!!!!

JD Atlanta said...

For a while, there was a movement to get rid of dodge ball in public schools. It apparently made the unathletic children feel bad about themselves. But here you go - dodge ball teaches you that not everyone wins, that no one can win all the time, and if you lose ... well, it's not the end of the world. Tebow needs more dodge ball.

By the way, is "unathletic" not a word? My spell checker keeps marking it. But "nonathletic" doesn't sound right to me.

Joanne Cage said...

Either one is OK to me.

Joanne Cage said...

I hated dodgeball with all my heart. But then I hated everything in phys. ed. in high school, because of our mean PE teacher. She also taught math or something, and she made James Crowe bend over, and beat him two-handed with a paddle about that thick.

In PE, I suspected her of putting us up to fight each other--my turn came with Peggy B. They took away my glasses, and I refused to fight. I regret that. The ball field was 2 inches in mud, and it would have been fun.