Thursday, January 28, 2010

Airs Above the Ground

Some time ago, I dug out these Persian Horse puzzle blocks that Jenny made, and have been wondering ever since how best to put them together for a quilt. The background fabric is very dirty and discolored, also chopped up around the edges. She had put them together with a dark blue fabric, not cotton, that she decided was wrong, so I took the dark blue out, leaving the edges frayed and, for some reason, the corners clipped.


I've been thinking about hand-washing each block before sewing them together. That way, I can press them and get them to fit the connecting blocks better. I'm thinking the setting blocks need to have a bold pattern but a subdued or neutral color, maybe wide vertical stripes. I'm open to suggestions.
*
I called this post "Airs Above the Ground," because these horse blocks have always reminded me of Mary Stewart's book of that title, about the Lipizzaner stallions that used to perform in circuses--I don't know if there is still such an act.
*
I Googled them, and indeed there is still such a show. They'll be on tour in different towns in Louisiana and Mississippi, the end of this month and during February.

5 comments:

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

THose blocks are beautiful. You must put them into a quilt.

Ramey Channell said...

If I may be so bold, I think those horses are supposed to be horizontal, not vertical. According to my eye, that is.

Joanne Cage said...

Which is which?

Ramey Channell said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ramey Channell said...

I don't know. It's like an optical illusion. In a previous comment I said that they look a little frantic either way. But then I delelted that comment because I see that they really can go either way. Hmmm.