Friday, January 29, 2010

Another Capricorn bites the dust

J.D. Salinger died Wednesday at the age of 91.

While I was still in high school, I saw the movie "My Foolish Heart," and didn't find out until many years later that it was based on Salinger's story, "Uncle Wiggily in Connecticut." When my baby sister became a teenager, she discovered Salinger and became a great admirer of his stories about the Glass family. So I read them all, too, "Bananafish" and "Franny and Zooey" and all the others. One of my favorites was "For Esme, With Love and Squalor;" I think it was Seymour who told that story. I loved all of Salinger's Nine Stories, and Catcher in the Rye. I even once practiced the Jesus prayer, like Franny, and it helped me through a hard spot.

Anyway, I was surprised to hear that JDS died; I thought he was already dead.

*

This morning my phone was out, and I couldn't get on the internet. I called sister Susy on the cell phone to find out about her doctor appointment yesterday. Turns out she has bad tendonitis in that shoulder, and won't have to have surgery, thank the Lord.

After talking to Suze, I fiddled with all the wires around my phone box, and suddenly the green light came on. Go figure.

Another post office trip looms, to mail a Bookins order. I'm still waiting for my eBay sales money to be released. But I'm not complaining. And what I'm not complaining about is PayPal. Bless their problematic hides. Problematic means "maybe it'll work, and maybe it won't." I think.

No comments: