Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Yesterday, for the first time in my life, I entered the Chamber of Commerce building. I spent about an hour in the library's book room, gathering up books to buy, but no one was there to take the money for them. There was a group upstairs, but nobody downstairs, so I had to leave the books. They were just books I thought I might like to read, anyway, nothing I thought would sell for much.

When I was a little girl, I went to Dr. Clayton's clinic once, but never to his house. When I was at the University, the Falettas invited me to a party when Elvis was in Leeds, but I couldn't go because I was in Tuscaloosa and didn't have a way to get home; anyway, I think they still lived in the house near the school. Some time when Jack and Ima lived in the rock house, Mama said that it was a mess of tiny rooms, but over time they knocked out walls and renovated it.

My impression of the house yesterday, as I walked all around downstairs and found nobody, was that except for the book room, it's spacious but very dark downstairs. The upstairs rooms have more windows and fewer curtains but are not fully decorated. Overall, it's a lovely house, and I wish somebody lived in it. BTW, downstairs, there were Wrights everywhere--pictures of them, that is--one of old Mr. and Mrs. Wright with all the singles and twins and triplets.

Yesterday, because of hunger and lack of time, I ate a cheeseburger from Sonics. It 'ardly ever 'appens, but not a good idea, even occasionally. Today I have "chicken kickers" barbecuing in the crock pot, and I aim to make an apple pie at some point, from a bag of scrawny apples I bought at the little store.

Right now I'm going to write until the chicken is done.

1 comment:

Ramey Channell said...

Public Service Announcement: Any time you're at the book store at the Chamber of Commerce, you just pick out your books and leave the money for them. There's supposed to be a box to put your money in. There are sometimes volunteers in the bookstore; sometimes not. Sorry you left without your books. There is sometimes someone in the office of the Chamber of Commerce; sometimes not.

Ramey