Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Another Demise

This morning the microwave died. I had to heat water on the stove-top for my coffee. Pooooor me! Don't y'all feel sorry for me? All the trouble in the world, and then this has to happen!

I've got my eye on some fancy new ELECTRIC ranges at Alabama Power Co. (low payments added to monthly power bill), but haven't decided which one I want. I think Jed will be here one day this week, so maybe we'll look at stoves, and microwaves. We think we'll have a visit from a home remodeler this week, to estimate the start of what-all needs to be done around the house--new doors, sump pumps, miles of paint and insulation, and maybe, someday, a kitchen remodel job. So maybe I'll make do with the gas oven and cooktop a little longer, and be content with a new microwave for the time being.

I don't know. Just as my feminine shopping instincts wake up, my common sense starts stomping its foot. I call it Portia. "There's always Portia, whining in the wings--" from a poem by me, after Shakespeare's Merchant of Venice.

Makes me want to go back and read the Merchant again.

"The quality of mercy is not strained;
It droppeth as the gentle rain from Heaven..."
*
Actually, as to remodeling the kitchen, I really like my kitchen as it is except for the yellow gas appliances and yellow formica. Before moving here, I always said I'd never put yellow in a kitchen. But it is a cheerful room, and the yellow sort of acts like a neutral color. With all the black and white, it's hardly noticeable. Or maybe I've just got used to it.

1 comment:

Ramey Channell said...

Don't you know you should never heat water in a microwave, at least not according to me. Once in a while might not hurt. I know you ignore me and all my "you know you shouldn'ts!" But, the microwave is not our friend.

Check out this website:

http://safety.lovetoknow.com/Dangers_of_Microwave_Food

Trois