Thursday, May 13, 2010

Here I Am...


...in my basement-cleaning costume. Which is not to say that the basement is clean, but you should have seen it before, etc.

While fighting the cobwebs and dirt, I was reminded of the only thing I remember about a novel by Josephine Tey called The Franchise Affair. The only thing I remember is that this single woman lived in a house about the size of Vita Sackville-West's, and when she "cleaned," she tied a cloth around her head and another one around her broom and fought cobwebs.

Vita Sackville-West's house (or castle) had 365 rooms. Every time anyone tried to count the windows, they came up with a different number.

The back half of my basement has only one little rusty-iron-barred window. But Jimmie is going to have the ceiling redone and more efficient lights installed. And, as the song says, who needs a window on such a sunny day?

("Clean House" crew, where are you?)
*
Now I have to assemble two packages and drag myself to the post office, after I shower off all the spiders and stuff.

3 comments:

knitwit said...

Love your get-up Joanne. I really think you need a white paper suit like the scene of crime investigators wear. I need windows in my basement today as its cool and rainy.
Ruth

Joanne Cage said...

Yah, I need to get me some of those paper suits, so I could just throw them away instead of washing 'em.

JD Atlanta said...

Come on - if you had paper suits, could you ever bring yourself to throw them out?? :)