Monday, May 17, 2010

Worked all day on a hamburger and big orange

Joe mowed the grass today. We talked about the "flower" bed, which is mostly rocks and weeds. He said it would take him at least 14 hours to remove the rocks, clean out the bed and replace the rocks. I said why don't we just spray it with weed killer, wait for the weeds to die, and then decide about removing and replacing the rocks. I really don't think that's necessary. I think just cleaning it up, and spraying it with weed killer every spring, will be OK. I don't really care for flowers in the front yard anyway; wish I had planted all those roses at the back or side of the house. I like for the front to look green and neat.

Joe said he has a friend who could give us a good price on removing the three trees in front--two in the flower bed, and one sweet gum outside the bed that has already spread roots halfway across the front yard. The big oak that's covered with ivy looks like it's ready to fall. I'm afraid if one of them fell or was blown down, it would tear up the retaining wall. Trouble is, Joe said his friend just "works on the side," and is not bonded or insured. So maybe we need to get a quote from somebody else.

Anyway, Joe is coming over Thursday to apply the weed killer, if I don't call him and change it.
*
I've spent today listing china and stuff on eBay. Well, just china. I've got Jenny's complete set, service for 8, of Franciscan "Silver Pine" fine china. Haven't listed it yet, because I hesitate to commit to shipping such a load of breakables. If anyone is interested in buying it offa me, I'll make you a good price. I'll make you a better price, if you'll pick it up. Tell your friends who need some pretty green and silver dinnerware.

After slaving all day over a hot computer, if I didn't deserve a hamburger and orange slush, I don't know when I ever will.

P.S. Another reason we need to remove the trees is that they drop acorns and stuff in the flower bed and the yard. There are about a million tiny sweet gum and oak trees in that bed, not to mention the poison oak and nettles, or whatever that sticky vine is.

P.P.S. I forget what else I wanted to add. Oh--I read a few pages in GWTW today. Will Benteen read the poem to Scarlett and Melanie and little Beau, just before they saw Ashley coming up the road to Tara. The poem was written on a piece of brown paper and pasted to the back of the Confederate note.

1 comment:

Xaltocan Archaeological Project said...

If you haven't sold the Franciscan Silver Pine china yet, I might be interested. You can contact me at l-overholtzer@northwestern.edu. Thanks!